Reading in Early Years
In Early Years, children are exposed to a variety of books through our school and class libraries, our Systematic Synthetic Phonics scheme, story sacks and through books that are read aloud each day.
Parents are invited to attend an information evening to support early reading development and information leaflets are shared. Reception parents have videos to support home learning accessed via TEAMs and flashcards sent home for practice. We use a phonics-based reading programme called Read Write Inc.
As children progress through the school, parents are also kept informed about how to support their child’s developing phonic knowledge and necessary information such as the phonics screening check at the end of year 1.
In addition to our Read Write Inc phonics-based reading scheme, we recognise that children have different interests and we have therefore ensured that we have an eclectic range of reading material available. Each week our reception pupils take home:
- A Read Write Inc Storybook matched to their phonic level which has already been read three times in school to develop accuracy and fluency enabling them to share at home with confidence and enjoyment.
- A linked Read Write Inc ‘Book Bag Book’ which has been shared at school on a 1 to 1 basis. Parents are encouraged to write comments in a reading record to create a log of their child’s progress.
- A self-chosen school library book for reading for pleasure.
- A self-chosen class library book for reading for pleasure.
- A Story Sack to share at home for pleasure encouraging story telling skills using props such as toys, story spoons and puppets. Parents are encouraged to add comments in the notebook inside the sack too.
Through Read Write Inc children read daily with a partner working within a group working at the same ability level which is regularly assessed and monitored. Individual children who are not reaching expected standards are supported through 1 to 1 tutoring.
Our Read Write Inc programme is used to teach phonics and the teaching of phonics is of high priority. We are passionate about ensuring all children become confident and enthusiastic readers and writers through this scheme.
Please click on the links below to find out more about Read Write Inc.